Post-Partum Back Pain Relief
Why Do New Mothers Experience Back Pain?
The post-partum mother has a higher risk for potential injury. Hormones that are essential to pregnancy cause global relaxation to the ligaments and muscles. Postural changes during and after pregnancy lead to increased instability of the spine and can result in back pain.
How Can We Help
The METRO SPORTSMED® Post-Partum Back Pain Relief Team is staffed by dedicated and experienced physical therapists sensitive to the needs of new mothers. Their expertise will help you to significantly reduce pain and offer guidelines to safetly transition back into a daily routine.
Our program intergrates a specialized plan of care to increase strength, endurance, and reduce pain. We focus on:
- Spinal stablization exercises
- Abdominal muscle toning
- Postural ergonomic training
- Body mechanics training for childcare vital to relieving low back pain
- Avoid reaching out to lift up your baby. Bring our baby close to your chest before lifting.
- Avoid carrying your child on your hips, as it increases stress and overloads the back muscles.
- Use pillows to support your baby close to your chest rather than bending over the baby when breastfeeding, thus reducing strain to your upper back. While nursing, sit in an upright chair rather than a soft couch.